Check out the role of pattern and color in the collection of armor below, photographed at the Met.
- What does the piece of armor protect the wearer from?
- Where is patterned applied?
- How does the pattern change the formal elements of the armor?
- How does the pattern change the meaning of the armor?
- What pattern structures do you notice; point groups, line groups, plane groups?
Horse Armor/ German
Armor Detail/ German
Hand Armor/ German
Sword and Sheath/ Yoruba
Body Costume/ Pacific Northwest
Crown and Ear Flares/ Peru
Nose Ornament/ Columbia